WHAT IS FAT TRANSFER TO THE BREAST?
The procedure involves using the patient’s own fat removed during liposuction of the belly, legs or arms. Rather than being discarded, this extra fat is used to positively enhance other areas of the body, like the face, buttocks, or breasts.*
WHAT TO EXPECT
Results look natural, recovery is easy and patients are able to resume normal activity quickly.*
The patient below is 2 weeks after fat transfer. There are no hard areas or bruising and the tiny areolar incision is virtually invisible.*
DISADVANTAGES OF SILICONE OR SALINE IMPLANTS:
- more invasive – larger scars, longer down-time, more pain.*
- side effects – internal scar contracture, rupture or leakage of implant.*
- esthetic problems – difficulty with simulating natural breast shape.*
ADVANTAGES OF FAT TRANSFER:
- Uses body’s own material – no need for foreign body placement.*
- Minimally-invasive – only 1 or 2 small entry points for fat injection, minimal downtime or pain.*
- Natural result – fat is sculpted in a way to appear natural, no step-off or edge seen with implants*
- Small additional cost – little extra cost as add-on to liposuction.*
- Unknown effect on breast cancer risk – there is no known increased risk either but no large studies have been done to prove that*
- Calcifications on mammography – these are possible with fat transfer and radiologist sometimes can’t distinguish calcification from a small piece of fat that did not take and became calcified from an early breast tumor. So a biopsy might be suggested to differentiate the two.
- Variable long-term fat survival – some publications assert that transferred fat is not long lasting.* Others have shown that it is permanent.* When transferred, these cells are expected to survive as long as the body’s other fat cells.*
Please note that you must have enough fat in other areas of your body to be a good candidate for this procedure.*
If you are interested in fat transfer to the breasts, please CONTACT US or call 310-312-1231 for a consultation.
*Results may vary; no guarantees.